REPORTS TO: Superintendent
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full or Part Time
The purpose of this job description is to communicate the responsibilities and duties associated with the position of MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN. While the following information should be considered a comprehensive description of this position, it should also be noted that some responsibilities and duties may not be specifically addressed and the activities listed below are not all inclusive to the position.
Every person is expected to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling company objectives.
It is imperative that you review these duties, skills and physical requirements closely and that you understand that by signing the Job Description Acknowledgment, you are verifying that you can perform all the duties, have the skills and possess the physical abilities that are necessary to perform the job as described.
JOB BRIEF: The MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN is to assist the SUPERINTENDENT in maintaining the physical integrity of the community. This involves insuring a safe, secure, and comfortable living environment for residents, visitors and staff. The MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN will carry out assigned duties in a safe manner and other duties as requested by the Superintendent.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct all business in accordance with company policies and procedures, state and federal laws; e.g., OSHA, ADA, Fair Housing, etc.
- Maintains relationships with other staff members, working closest with other maintenance workers.
- Maintains relationships with current and prospective residents.
- Maintains relationships with any contract laborers working on property.
- Satisfies all service requests per work orders following company policies and procedures.
- Must be knowledgeable of pertinent laws and EPA and OSHA regulations governing proper storage and management of hazardous materials, including solvents, flammables, caustics and freon.
- Constantly be aware of the condition of apartment property throughout the community and immediately initiates action to correct unsafe conditions; e.g., broken gates leading to the pool, broken steps, open holes, broken/burned out exterior lights.
- Schedules and performs routine preventive maintenance on all appropriate equipment as directed by Superintendent. Inspects and maintains all tools in excellent condition.
- Be aware of all utility meter cut-offs, apartment and fixture cut-offs, sewer cleanouts.
- Performs work area clean-up and safety related duties.
- Ensures that storage areas remain locked when not in use.
- Diagnoses and performs minor and routine maintenance/repair, as directed, involving the following on a daily basis:
- Electrical and plumbing (including water lines).
- AIC and heating systems.
- Appliances (when applicable).
- Water irrigation systems.
- Stairs, gates, fences, patios, railings.
- Tile, carpet, flooring.
- Roofing, gutters, fasteners.
- Interior/exterior lights.
- Fireplaces, ceiling fans.
- Gas fixtures and appliances (where applicable).
- Shutters, doors, cabinets, windows, sliding glass doors.
- Boiler, gas and electric.
- Door locks, P.O. boxes and locks.
- Security systems (where applicable).
- Ceiling leaks.
- Pool areas, tile, jacuzzi, pool furniture.
- Inspects and helps coordinate all needed make-ready repairs and services. Assists make ready staff as required to meet deadlines.
- Reports all major repairs and need requisitions to the Superintendent prior to any expenditure of funds.
- Change locks and make keys.
- Removes and transfers heavy appliances and equipment from storage area to apartment (or vise versa) as circumstances warrant. Assists in moving abandoned furniture, appliances, etc., to dumpster when necessary.
- Be knowledgeable of inventory levels of spare parts and supplies and inform the Superintendent of shortages.
- Details the property on a daily basis (i.e. cleans and rakes shrub areas; shovels mud/snow etc. when necessary. Use blower, brush, rake, or shovel to keep sidewalks and walking areas clean of loose grass, brush and/or snow).
- Assists in keeping grounds neat and free of litter. Rakes, sweeps, shovels as circumstances warrant.
- Performs any additional duties assigned by the Superintendent, Property Manager, or corporate office.
Position requires at least I year experience in apartment maintenance.Some familiarity with electricity, plumbing, and carpentry. Good Safety habits and compatible with a wide range of people.
Equipment Requirement: Required to wear back support belt, wear goggles when working with specific equipment, wear masks and gloves and other safety equipment as tasks dictate.
Work Hours: 20-40 hours per week, as required. Weekends as circumstances warrant; on-call on a rotating basis andfor emergencies.
Equipment/Machinery/Tools: An employee in this position must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of the following tools:
Hand Tools Various wrenches, hammer, grips, saws, sledgehammer, snips, posthole diggers, etc.
Power Tools Wrenches, grinders, sanders, drills, saws, etc.
User-Moved Aids Wheelbarrows, dollies, hand trucks, buckets, hoists, jacks, step ladders, full
ladders, double ladders.
Mechanical Equip. Motors, pumps, compressors, blowers, electric and hand power augers, etc.
Measuring Devices Calipers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, testing meters, PH tests, gauges, etc.
Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to be on feet.
Have constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to perform the following physical activities:
– Bend/Stoop/Squat/Kneel: Perform routine maintenance/repairs, pick up tools and needed equipment.
– Climb Stairs: Service requests, make-ready needs for 2nd and 3rd floor apartments.
– Push or Pull: Move equipment, appliances, open and close doors, etc
– Reach Above Shoulder: Perform routine maintenance/repairs, stock and remove equipment, parts, etc.
– Climb Ladders: Perform routine maintenance/repairs.
– Grasp/Grip/Turning: Handle tools and equipment, perform routine maintenance/repairs.
– Finger Dexterity: Handle tools and equipment, perform routine
Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to perform the following physical activities:
– Writing: Inventory maintenance, requisition requests, required maintenance reports.
Lifting/carrying (supplies, replacement parts, ladders, etc.):
– Over 150 lbs.: Rare need (less than 1% of the time)
– 75 – 150 lbs.: Occasional need (1% to 33% of the time)
– 25 – 75 lbs.: Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time)
– 1 – 25 lbs.: Constant need (66% to 100% of the time)
NOTE: Lifting and carrying of weights exceeding 50 lbs. is often accomplished with assistance from one or more persons. Examples of heaviest items lifted include washer/dryers, refrigerators, A/C units, abandoned sofas, etc.
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to document maintenance and complete forms, review manuals and operating instructions, read cautionary labels, respond to written instruction from staff and residents. Constant need to see small detail when performing routine maintenance duties.
- Frequent need (33% to 60% of the time) to see things clearly beyond arm’s reach (oversee assistants, observe problems throughout the property).
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to communicate with assistants, resident staff, vendors and residents. Must use listening skills to diagnose needed repairs, etc.
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to verbally communicate with assistants, resident staff, vendors and residents.
- Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time) to utilize personal transportation to pick up replacement parts and supplies from vendors. Rotation “on call” status may occasionally require expedient travel to assigned property at moments notice. Pick up and deliveries to the corporate office or other properties.
- Must have valid driver’s license and automobile insurance coverage.
- Indoors (66% to 100% of the time). Frequently outdoors (33% to 66% of the time), all conditions, often for extended periods.
- Occasional exposure (1% to 33% of time) to paint fumes, solvents, adhesives, etc. Example: Apartments during/after make-ready.
- Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time) to work in awkward and confining positions.
Moderate. Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to a variety of practical situations and accurately follow standardized procedures that may occasionally involve minor deviations. Needs ability to think rationally beyond a specific set of instructions.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
- All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
- This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.